History | Log In     View a printable version of the current page.  
Issue Details (XML | Word | Printable)

Key: OX-5495
Type: Bug Bug
Status: Closed Closed
Resolution: Cannot Reproduce
Priority: Critical Critical
Assignee: Joanna Mazgaj
Reporter: Thomas Haegi
Votes: 0
Watchers: 3
Operations

If you were logged in you would be able to see more operations.
OpenX Ad Server

Some requests for some banner types are lost

Created: 04/Jun/09 10:27 PM   Updated: 22/Feb/10 10:33 PM
Component/s: OXP: Core
Affects Version/s: OpenX 2.8.1, OpenX 2.8.0
Fix Version/s: OpenX 2.8.5
Security Level: Public (All users can see these issues)

Time Tracking:
Not Specified

File Attachments: None
Image Attachments:

1. campaign1-campaign.png
(27 kb)

2. campaign1-creative.png
(32 kb)

3. campaign1-stats26.png
(161 kb)

4. campaign1-stats283.png
(20 kb)

5. campaign2-stats26.png
(45 kb)

6. campaign2-stats283.png
(18 kb)
Environment: php 5.2.9, opensolaris 2008.11, apache 2.2, postgres 8.3


 Description  « Hide
(as described here: http://forum.openx.org/index.php?showtopic=503427566)

after upgrading from 2.6.4 to 2.8.1, we noticed a huge discrepancy for some ad types. where normally, the difference between requests and actual impressions were around 2-5% (in 2.6.4), 2.8.1 had up to 60% less impressions than requests - and than before with 2.6.4. so 2.8.1 still counted about the same amount of requests as the day before (on 2.6.4), but only about average half of the impressions.

as far as i could tell, all the affected banners are have flash based creatives, hosted by openx. all of them have delivery limitations set to particular urls, and some of them have a capping, others don't.
other campaigns, for example image-based ones, do not have this problem at all. their request/impression numbers match more or less.

suspecting some problems with the serving of flash files, i then tried to find some code differences. the javascript writing out the .swf files got changed a bit, but tests showed that this is not the cause of the problem - manually changing the to "2.6.4-style" in the delivery scripts did not help at all. my second guess was that openx just doesn't count the impressions. the stats in 2.8.1 seem way of for some people. so i went ahead and turned on webserver based request logging. unfortunatly, the request for the particular swf files logged by the webserver more or less matched the impressions logged by ox

as of course loosing half of the impressions was not acceptable, thus we went switched to 2.6.4/5, and the impressions got back to normal numbers instantly. while i doubt that it is our environement which causes this - again, in 2.6 everything works just fine - , i can be contacted for direct access to both our 2.6.5 and 2.8.1 installations if needed.



 All   Comments   Work Log   Change History   FishEye   Crucible   Builds      Sort Order: Ascending order - Click to sort in descending order
No work has yet been logged on this issue.